Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The First Day of Spring (and I missed it) - Slice of Life Challenge, Day #20

March 20, 2018

Facebook just told me that today is the first day of spring. I didn't realize it at all. I knew it was coming soon, but it still feels early for some reason. Perhaps it's because we've been having temperatures in the 30s or so lately. Perhaps it's because we haven't had Spring Break yet. Perhaps it's because I just haven't considered spring being here because I'm so behind in the school year!

If you ask me, I will always say my favorite season is Autumn. I love the cooling weather, the breezes, the colors of the leaves as they change, and apple cider donuts being readily available.

Spring is a close second, though. I guess I am just happy with semi-temperate weather! I like the 50s-60s, to be honest. But of course, spring also has the blooming flowers, the greening of shrubs, trees, and the grass, and return of pollinators.

As I walked in the door this evening, I noticed the daffodils that had poked up through the mulch have now started to display some yellow tinge of the petals, still closed, still waiting to open up. Many of my purple and white crocuses are in bloom. My magnolia tree is just waiting for a string of warm days to break out in bloom, filling the air with its heavenly scent. I thought about the year we had a warm day, my magnolia bloomed, and then the weather turned, and snow fell, causing all the petals to fall the next day.

Heartbreaking.

So, today, on the first day of spring, I'm feeling somewhat hopeful. I don't always feel this hopeful; it's hard in our current political and social climate. But today, the thought of spring fills me with anticipation of the colors, scents, energy, and new visitors that will be traveling in and out of my neighborhood very soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm the same - I love the semi-temperate weather. I've noticed my own perennials starting to peek up from under the mulch as well. It does feel hopeful for some reason. Like it's a season of renewal or something.

    Welcome Spring! Goodbye winter!

    ReplyDelete