Tuesday, March 13, 2018

A confession (that includes Doritos) - Slice of Life Challenge, Day #13

March 13, 2018

In my post yesterday, I wrote about having a "case of the Mondays." Well, today, I'm going to write about the ramifications of my mood.

I AM one of those people that eat when I get stressed or feel down. I think it goes back to my very strict healthy upbringing until I was about 13 (otherwise known as "when mom went back to work"). When I was growing up, my lunch was always some sort of grainy Adele Davis bread and natural peanut butter sandwich (maybe with cream cheese), homemade cookies (usually chocolate chip - and very, very hard and thick - probably made with whole wheat), an apple, and a juice drink, like Capri Sun. Every day, unless it was something special for hot lunch.

We weren't allowed dessert any time except after Sunday Dinner at my Grandma's. My Grandma was the BEST cook and baker, so it was divine. Even just her mashed potatoes were famous in our family. The other time we got sweets (on non-holidays) was every Saturday when we had to drive an hour both ways to go to violin group lessons. We studied Suzuki method and had to go to Wheaton College to take Saturday lessons, so we had to get up early, and never got to watch Saturday cartoons. To appease me, my parents would let me get one candy bar from the college store.

So I associated sweets with a reward for dealing with something I hated (violin lessons) and also my grandma (who I miss every day).

Cut to yesterday - I had a trying day at work. I went out and bought myself McDonald's for lunch, even though I had a salad to eat in the lounge refrigerator. (But I didn't have soda, so I feel good about that).

Then I went to visit a friend, who lives near a Dairy Queen, and...

One chocolate dipped cone, please!

Then I got home and didn't feel like cooking or having something big, so....

Many bowlfuls of Doritos sound good!

But then I needed some protein, so....

Let's add some pretzels filled with peanut butter!

And tomorrow is recycling, so...

I'd better have the one glass of red left,  so I can recycle that bottle!

Oh, also, I have some black and white cookies from the store! Gotta end on a sweet note!

About midnight, I woke up.

Heartburn. Stomachache.

Chiding myself for my poor food choices, I drank some water and ate about 4 Tums.

In the morning, I felt slightly nauseous until I drank a lot of water and had some yogurt. Ate that salad for lunch. Had more yogurt. (Did have some chocolate during my plan, though). Ran 3 miles just barely.

Hopefully, this confession will serve as a record of my poor choices, so I don't make the mistake of eating Doritos for dinner EVER AGAIN!


5 comments:

  1. Our choices have consequences, but sometimes they are worth paying. We rarely got sweets when I was young too. Never in our lunch, but my neighbor always got a suzy Q. She hated them, I loved them. I remember the anticipation waiting for her to open her lunch box on our way home on the bus. I did eventually pay for that choice when the hot sun spoiled the cream, but boy were those weeks before that happened worth it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Me too! I had some friends whose parents sent them Ho-Ho's, Swiss Cake Rolls, Nutty Bars, and wanted my homemade cookies! You can bet I traded every chance I had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No judging! I, too, stress eat and last week was a doozy of a stress eat week! Falling off the wagon sometimes is what the stressed out soul needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same. Good luck going back to healthier choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the exact same thing today! Including Doritos! I call it 'eating my feelings.' It honestly doesn't make me feel better though. Worse, truth be told.

    ReplyDelete