Monday, March 12, 2018

A case of the Mondays - Slice of Life Challenge, Day #12


March 12, 2018

I have a case of the Mondays today. I'm just going to accept it. It started when I allowed my students some extra time on Chromebooks this morning and they still complained (one near melted down) when they had to put them away. 

A coworker of mine comes in to work with specific students during my reading time. From the beginning of the year, she has mentioned the lack of urgency of my students when moving from the rug to their desks, or getting out a journal. And she noted it again today.

I set a timer for them. I give points for the first students who follow directions. I remind them verbally of what they need and expectations. Still, we're in March, and they have no sense of urgency when given directions. It is frustrating, to say the least.

In fact, what they do is start conversations, walk over to their friends, break pencils, and tell me they've brought something to share with the class.

Each one of them seems to think they are the only student in the class, as evidenced by papers stuck in my face when I'm in the middle of a conversation. Or that they're the teacher in the class, as evidenced by the students who created their own version of my "Behavior Think Sheets," which they renamed "How I Acted."

It's humorous to an extent. It was recommended to me that I read books that have the theme of empathy for read aloud, since they seem to be lacking in that area. It breaks my heart when they laugh at the part that is supposed to develop empathy.

So I have a case of the Mondays. It wasn't even that bad. I just wish I spent more time teaching today than I did trying to make sure no one hurt each other, offended or hurt feelings, melted down, refused to work, or just stay in their seat during work time (and when I say "stay in their seat," I just mean in their working area and not coming up to tell me every they can't work because the person across from them was breathing too loud).

Let's just hope it doesn't become a case of the Tuesdays tomorrow. 


3 comments:

  1. You are planting more seeds than you think you are -- hang in there - spring break is soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are more forgiving to yourself than anything else. Even with a case of the Mondays, I can tell what an intentional and thoughtful teacher you are through your writing. And even with a case of the Mondays, your appreciation for the students comes right through.

    Hang in there - you may just have a case of the when-is-it-Spring-Break?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure what grade you teach, but if it makes you feel any better, my sixth graders have been acting very similarly! We just had a discussion today about the fact that we are approaching the 3/4 mark of the school year and they still have difficulty with transitions. This among many other discussions that have taken place about expectations. I agree with John above...hang in there, spring break is coming!

    ReplyDelete