Wednesday, March 21, 2018

A case of the Wednesdays - Slice of Life Challenge, Day #21

March 21, 2018

I had three meetings today. I almost had four, but one was canceled, thank goodness.

By the third meeting, I was very frustrated and, to be honest, I feel at a loss.

I have so many students that have special needs and behavior issues, but aren't necessarily identified with anything, so I don't really have support. I keep receiving suggestions or more requirements of data. Everything adds another layer of responsibility to me plate, and I'm tired. I think a lot of teachers feel like this.

At my last meeting, there was another layer of responsibility basically announced, for the next school year.

Sometime soon (maybe tomorrow?) SCOTUS is going to announce the ruling in the Janus case, which will probably gut unions. Unions are the only thing keeping us afloat right now, at least in Illinois.

So my slice today is about being frustrated, overworked, and under-appreciated. It's a bit of a pity party, to be honest. I'd love to hear how others are doing/feeling and how you cope with these days of being overwhelmed.

4 comments:

  1. First, I'm really sorry you're feeling defeated, unsupported, frustrated, etc. I'm in Idaho, a right to work state, where only around 52% of us in my district are union members. I know what it's like to have an administration that does not support teachers and that dumps blame and accountability on teachers w/out holding kids to account. During those years I did what I could to keep behavior problems confined to my room; I took the Teaching with Love and Logic class, and that helped immensely. Our district now uses restorative justice, but that has pros and cons. I like TwLaL better. I wish all teachers had supportive administrations who don't want to dump more on teachers; that's the kind of building admin I have now. I hope others pop in w/ suggestions more helpful than mine. BTW, I'm in my 37th year teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, I am glad I found your post. I was feeling so bad about always sounding negative, but when I read what you wrote I was like, "yeah, me too. yeah, I know how you feel." I have been home sick for three days and stressed because I felt guilty. In what other job does that happen? I am in the midst of retaking one component of my national boards and writing about how I am responding to assessment and adjusting my teaching just feels disingenuous. It is not that it is not true; it is that it will never be enough. I am one human being, who loves my students and my work, but no matter how much training, reflection, and adapting I do- I can only bring my kiddos so far in the year that I have them, And it is not where they should be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our union is working really hard to make the union relevant to teachers. we have hosted forums for Sp. Ed teachers, immigrant families, and addressed violent children in the classroom among other things. It can feel hard to attend one of these meetings for the first time, especially after a long day of work, but it is working hard to be sure we still have people who see the value once the Janus decision is made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand and relate. I think classroom teachers have an unbelievable burden. Elementary teachers teach every subject and have to differentiate almost every lesson. I have 24 students and very different learning needs. I'm constantly feeling like I can't keep my head above water and I've been teaching since 2001. Hugs, friend. We have a very tough job.

    ReplyDelete