Monday, March 26, 2018

Spring Break Begins with a Flush - Slice of Life Challenge, Day #26

March 26, 2018

I've been without a working toilet for the last 5 days. It all started when I flushed the toilet and it didn't stop running. So I flushed it again. Less flush, more running. One last time. No flush.

Still running.

I frantically called my brothers-in-law to see if they had any suggestions. Not too long ago, the handle for the flushing (What is that called, technically???) broke off in my hand, but a friend was over and she helped me to buy a new one and replace it that night. I was hoping for something as easily resolved.

'Twas not to be.

I called a plumber and left a message. My brother-in-law said I could turn off the water to the toilet, then pour a bucket of clean water in and the gravity would act as a sort of "flush," so I tried that. It takes like 3 buckets of water to be honest. Toilet paper floats. Too much?

The plumber didn't call back until I had arranged for another plumber to come last Friday. I had to work, so my mother acted as my proxy. The verdict: you need a new toilet.

So I called to arrange for a new toilet, but I didn't want the plumber to kill himself trying to fit me in on Saturday (The truth is, I didn't want to get up and have to worry about a plumber). He said they'd call me on Saturday or Monday to schedule the installation. So I've been working with that "fill up the bucket, pour it in to flush" method ever since. It's annoying, but it works.

I didn't receive a call from the plumber to schedule, so I expected to be called this morning, my first real day of break, and I got up before 7 just in case. Not early enough, though.

I only had time to let the dog out before the doorbell rang. I was in my pajamas, hadn't used the toilet, hadn't poured water down since last night, and my dog was apoplectic at the doorbell ringing unexpectedly.

I hurried to get on my robe, mumbled, "I didn't know you were coming so soon." I picked up my dog so he would leave the three plumbers that showed up to install the new toilet.

For the next 45 minutes, I sat, holding my dog (and my bladder!) and waited for them to let me know when the toilet was installed. I had no idea how long it would take and I was mentally preparing for having to make a quick visit to my mother's or my sister's since they live about 5 minutes away. Luckily, they finished before it became urgent. I'm pretty sure being a teacher helped me in this situation - used to holding it!

In any case, by 8 AM, I had a new toilet, the plumbers were gone, and my spring break is ready to begin! I think I might actually go back to bed...

3 comments:

  1. Whew, sounds like way too much work for Soring Break but I am happy to hear that all is right with the world again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey your lucky to get such a quick fix! Enjoy the rest of your break

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry for your toilet woes, but I really did enjoy reading this. The way you craft your sentences, your word choice (apocalyptic - great word!). it makes your writing so engaging to read. I love the line about “holding my dog (and my bladder)”. Such great voice.

    May the rest of your Spring Break be toilet-drama free.

    ReplyDelete