Sunday, March 18, 2018

One More Week - Slice of Life Challenge, Day #18

March 18, 2018 

One more week to go before Spring Break. I'm filled with excitement to have a moment to stop, redirect, focus on my own house and yard (Hopefully the weather will behave), and mentally detach from worrying about student behavior, data, and curriculum. (of course I know I will still be working on school stuff to some extent).

I'm also excited about sleeping in :)

On the other hand, I'm just about to go through my weekend morning routine - sometimes Saturdays, sometimes Sundays - of completing lesson plans. Time to see what I didn't accomplish last week and figure out how to squeeze it all in this week. (2nd grade Eureka Math is killing me!)

I'll have a cup of coffee with cream, no sugar, and my dog will lay next to me on the couch. I'll watch CBS Sunday Morning and probably some of the Sunday morning political shows, and I'll work on my plans. It makes the working from home less of a bummer, to be honest, to be comfy and cozy while I do it (which is probably why I don't stay late at school to plan on Friday nights!).

This week, though, as I think about my plans, I'm trying to problem solve: How do I keep the students learning this week? How do I keep their ever-increasing energy in check to focus on lessons? Students had Friday off, so they're coming from a three day weekend. They already have lots of trouble listening and controlling impulses. I'm thinking this week will be exceptionally challenging, behavior-wise, so I'm trying to think of what could happen, and how to curb it before it does.

Brain breaks of Simon Says? Pulling out the Listening activities from Tin Man Press? Whatever works at this point. Maybe afternoon naps - we tried that once - just a five minute nap with a CDs of lullabies. They loved it. Promising a Pajama Party on Friday if they get a certain amount of positive behavior cards (using an idea from a fellow slicer)?

I'm open to suggestions!
Anything to get through the week! 😉


4 comments:

  1. I imagine elementary teachers have a tougher time the week before spring break, which we have this week. I listened to speeches in one class, had a book tasting in my general speech classes Friday (blogged about that yesterday) and had lab time and mini-speeches in those classes earlier in the week; my AP Lit wrote, discussed a novel, and scored multiple choice practice. I had a good week except for one moment.

    Wishing you a week of peace and fun. Hope it goes by quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you- this is tough time of year! Spring break mixed with spring fever- yikes! Maybe an end of week goal? Maybe they earn a special treat if they can get done their work??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you- this is tough time of year! Spring break mixed with spring fever- yikes! Maybe an end of week goal? Maybe they earn a special treat if they can get done their work??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the music idea is an excellent choice ... classical in the background, even a chance to sing something the kids love. It's worked for us!

    ReplyDelete