Saturday, March 10, 2018

A night - er, morning - at the theatre Pt. 2 - Slice of Life Challenge, Day #10

March 10, 2018

One of the fabulous things about being me (that's a joke, folks!) is that I have connections. Well, one connection. To local theatre. Mostly musicals. Anyway...

My best friend has been a working actor (pretty much nonstop) for almost the past 20 years. She performs in musicals in the area, has been on a couple TV shows, and is about to direct her first show. I'm super excited about that. In any case,  one of the perks of knowing a working actor who has been around for so long is that you get offers for free tickets to shows. I've seen so many musicals and plays for free over the years, I can't even count. Tonight, I'm going to see a show with her because her friend is in it. So I get to benefit even when she's not in a show. It's awesome.

Last week, she texted me to find out if I wanted tickets to the new children's show she is in, "The Emperor's New Clothes." She knows I am clothes with my nieces and nephews and offered us some tickets. When I called my sister, she asked my nephew, and he was up for it.

My nephew is five years old. He is very energetic (to say the least), smart, and hilarious. He's the kind of kid that says "Hello!" to everyone he sees (More like, "Hello, Worker Man!" to be honest). That is rare, especially in my family, because we are pretty stranger averse folks. This kid is not that way. He is rambunctious, silly, and sometimes a handful. And this was his first show.

I was excited to take him, but a little worried that he would be bored. We left plenty early (8:45 AM!) and I got a treat of munchkins from Dunkin' Donuts, because that's what I do - bring treats! He had some toys and books in the car to look through, but apparently, was hoping for more.

"Do you have any Dr. Seuss books?" he asked, when he saw I had put some Golden Books in the backseat. (It's a pretty long ride to the theatre from his house).

"Nope, did you want some? Sorry!" I said.

"Becki, do you know WHY I asked for Dr. Seuss books?" They all call me Becki, because that's what my family calls me - not many folks do these days.

Now, being a teacher, I had inside information. I knew that the day before was Dr. Seuss's birthday.

"Ummm, yes, because yesterday was Dr. Seuss's birthday?"

"Yeah! How did you know?" He was stunned.

As we continued to drive, we had bits of conversation here and there. He asked a lot of "What if" questions about random things. He was working in a Solar System sticker book, and then he asks:

"What planet is next to Neptune?"

I thought. "I think it's Uranus."

I kid you not, his response was, "Becki, why is there a black line around Uranus?"

I cracked up. He had no idea. I even asked if he was being serious, cause he likes to push buttons. He was. I said I'd have to look at the picture when we stopped.

We got to the theatre early, walked around a bit, got our tickets, and sat down. It's sometimes so nice to be at a kids' show or movie when you realize the whole audience will be talking the whole time and the child you brought (most likely) won't be standing out if they get antsy.

The show began and he did a great job watching it. He moved a bit, sitting on my lap halfway
through the show (because the seats kept closing on his legs). A bit of talking, but nothing crazy. And no wanting to get up and leave, even when the actors answered questions after the show.

We waited for my friend by the stage door to say "Thank you" and I texted my sister while we were waiting. She asked for a picture of my nephew and me or my nephew and my friend. I tried to get a picture with him but he was done - kept moving out of the camera. So I said "Your mom wants a picture of you and me or you and Johanna." He chose my friend.

Sure enough, when she came out, he posed for a lovely picture with her. Then he wanted to show her a pond we found on our walk outside. So we did that, then got in the car to drive home.

As we pulled up into his driveway, he said to me, "Becki, I had a lot of fun!"

Another win for the crazy aunt!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are a great aunt! The photo is precious and matches your description of him in your slice. I could see him saying, "Hello Worker Man!" (with that big smile of his).

    ReplyDelete