Sunday, March 4, 2018

In training...

March 4, 2018

Good morning! I'm about to run 4 miles.

First, I'm having coffee and blogging here. I cleaned the dog's ear (he has a stubborn ear infection that won't go away) and started some laundry.

And then I'm going to run 4 miles.

4 miles isn't really that big of a deal. It's just that I've been out of shape since I started teaching (just being honest - there is a direct correlation). So that's about ten years.

Every year I say I will get in shape, eat better, etc, etc. And I don't.

Because I LOVE sugar. I love it so much. And I love sitting on the couch with my dog. And napping.

Each year, I do run a 5K race to raise money against Parkinson's Disease. My grandma had it and a friend from high school who has early onset Parkinson's started it (more on that later). I say I'm going to train, and I don't. I just go for it. And come in very late compared to family and friends that are in shape. I don't care that I'm slow. I know I'm out of shape.

I do care that I'm not healthy, though, so when a friend asked me to sign up for the 8k Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago, I decided to do it. And for whatever reason, I'm really doing it. I mean, I printed out the Hal Higdon Novice 8K training schedule, and I'm basically following it as best I can (and by that I mean, no I'm not working out after a 12 hour day because of Open House).

Sunday is the big run day and so today I should run 4 miles. It's a beautiful day outside, and I have been running at least 3.5 miles the last two Sundays, but still I am a bit hesitant. I have an old ache in my hip that is telling me I may need new shoes. I still need to make lesson plans and clean the house.
I have to spend like 15 minutes trying to shove an antibiotic in my dog's mouth (the pleasure of being a stubborn dog's owner!).

I'm going to do it, though. I'm going to run out and enjoy the sunshine and being healthy and hope that's enough to keep me going.

How are you spending your Sunday?

4 comments:

  1. Super impressed! I identify with you on so many levels...except for all the ones with training for running. HAHA! But, just like you said, knowing yourself and not just accepting it for what it is and doing something about it...it is very admirable and I am feeling motivated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get the run in? I am also trying to cut back on sugar and you know how much I love my candy. Oh well, healthy is worth it, right? Btw, I am not giving up my one Diet Coke a day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get the run in! with just a little walk for about 5 minutes in the middle of it. But I did pretty well. If you can do one Diet Coke a day, go for it! I can't - I am either all pop or nothing. Next I need to cut back on sweets. Sugar is apparently the devil. ARGH.

      Delete
  3. I love this piece because your dedication really shines right on the page. You're doing this. Yes.

    I also love the bits of humor peppered in there - this is such a great example of writer's voice. It's so hard to teach, but you did it so naturally here.

    Great Slice - and good luck, girl! You got this. :)

    ReplyDelete