In an earlier post, I lamented about how my older sisters wrote in my diary when I was younger. Now, I feel I must clear up a misconception: that was totally out of character for my sisters. They were very responsible, compliant children, in general. And I read their diaries, as well. I just didn’t WRITE responses in them.
Yes, they were good sisters, and put up with a lot. Here are a few things my sisters (1 younger and 2 older) deal with (notice I said STILL):
- General silliness
- Poorly timed jokes
- Taking pictures of them while sleeping in 8th grade
- Posting the pictures on Facebook (in 2016)
- Taking pictures of their backsides in the 80s
- Posting the pictures on Facebook (in the 2010s)
- Wearing their clothes without permission
- Sitting on their beds in my birthday suit (this has not happened again since ‘84 probably)
- Singing at the top of my lungs in the car
- Insisting that the music in the car is what I liked so I could sing to it
- Saying things that blatantly aren’t true to drive them crazy, like telling my sister it was raining when it was full-on sunny outside and we could see it
- Teasing them about Johnny DeHerrera or Paul Bundalo
- Embarrassing them in public (once I wore one of my grandmother’s wigs out of the house, only to pull it off when I caught the eye of a passing motorist)
- Stealing their Madonna cassette tape and never giving it back (they probably don’t even know)
- Bothering their friends when they come over
- Tickling until they were in tears
- Asking them to move in such a way so that they ended up by something I needed so I didn’t have to get up and could ask them to hand it to me (this drove one of them bonkers)
- Chased them around the house, threatening to touch them with my thumb (I was a thumb-sucker for several years)
- Told on my younger sister when she bought the Green Day album, Dookie, because it had bad language (I grew up in a household where the song Like a Virgin was banned)
There, I feel better. I did some weird things to instigate negative reactions. So you see, though my sisters violated my privacy and hurt my feelings outright, I did do a lot to get under their skin. It was my specialty.
Guess which one is me???