Monday, March 20, 2017

To honk or not to honk?

Having lived and worked in two major cities over the years, I have adapted some aggressive city-driving behaviors. City-walking as well, to be honest. Occasionally, it results in embarrassment, which happened tonight.

I was going to an event at a local junior high school, and I was running late. Not really late, but close to arriving at the very moment the event started. So, while I wasn’t speeding to get there, or that stressed about it, I was hoping to arrive in time to find a seat by my friend.

I was about three minutes away, and about three minutes from start time, when I came up to a left-turn on green light only lane. It was red. The main light had just turned green, so I knew I was going to have to wait through one cycle of all the lights. I started to get a little antsy, thinking about how I was SO close, but knowing it really didn’t even matter, to be honest.

When the light finally turned green, the truck in front of me stayed put. Didn’t move. I could feel the light suddenly turn to yellow, with my car still stuck in the lane. So I did what we you do when you’re driving downtown. You honk. I let out one brief, loud, duck-quacking honk. The driver realized the light was green, and we both went through.

I thought I was home free, when I watched the car that I just honked at (some might say rudely) turn into the very parking lot where I was heading. Maybe it was doing a U-turn?

Nope, I watched as it drove into the parking lot. Trying to avoid the embarrassment of meeting the driver face-to-face, I parked right as I entered. I hurriedly walked to the door - as I noticed the driver of the truck did as well. We were going to meet at the doors at the same time. What was worse, I recognized the driver as someone who worked in my building occasionally. I tried to decide if I should open up and admit that I was the one to honk at him, or if I should joke about it, or ignore it. Luckily, I didn’t have to decide, as he stopped before entering and I passed him without incident. But I know he knows I honked at him, and later on, as I passed him on the way out, I sheepishly said “Good night,” hoping he wouldn’t call me out on my honk. And he didn’t.

Some might think it’s OK to honk at people when they aren’t paying attention, and I really do. I prefer if people honk at me if I don’t realize the light changed. The problem is when you do it and you realize you’re driving to the same location. This isn’t the first time I’ve had this issue THIS YEAR, even.

What do you think? Do we just ignore the honking? Do we ‘fess up?  Do we bury the embarrassment inside and blog about it later?

new-slicer-badge.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I think you did the right thing. The thing about a honk is that it only has one tone...you never know if it's yelling at you or being helpful. It feels like you were being helpful, right? However, I would have tried to avoid him also. :)

    ReplyDelete